“In November, people are good to each other.” —Cynthia Rylant, In November
The holiday season is finally here, and we’re bursting with gratitude, good vibes and great plans to give back!
Isn’t it amazing how November’s colder temperatures and longer, darker nights draw us closer to those we love and fill us with gratitude for all that we have? Giving back is a year-round thing at Mexicali Blues but somehow, it feels even more meaningful at this time of year.
Like our founders, Pete and Kim Erskine, our community giving is generous, deeply rooted in Maine, and travels all around the world all year long. Mexicali Blues donates a full 1% of our proceeds every single year to support the countries we buy from, the communities we live in and the causes we believe in.
So every time you shop the wonderful world goods in our stores, you help us do a world of good! So far this year, our World of Goods has sponsored or donated to:
- 18 local schools, youth groups and kids clubs all over Maine
- 9 community arts organizations, like the Children’s Museum of Maine
- 4 environmental groups, preservation organizations and land trusts
- 8 community festivals, gatherings and concerts, like the Damariscotta Pumpkinfest
- International aid providers like Friends of Thai Daughters, DZI Foundation in Nepal (that’s them with Pete & Kim in the above photo!), and the Guatemala Housing Alliance
- 12 organizations working to prevent cancer, Alzheimers, ALS, hunger and more, plus area hospitals like the Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital
- 15 nonprofit organizations, advocacy groups and charities like Equality Maine
- and sent $25,000 to aid organizations in earthquake-ravaged Nepal by donating 100% of the proceeds from our Tibetan prayer flags
We’re so proud of the impact we’ve had, but we want to do even more. So this holiday season, we’ve come up with another wonderful way to help our friends in another country, and a wonderful new way to say “thank you” to our customers right here.
Mexicali Blues is keeping the good vibes going all the way through the holiday season.
Be sure to check back next week to find out how your holiday shopping can give safe, secure housing to our friends in Guatemala—and to hear about how we’re going to show our gratitude to all our great customers!
The post GRATITUDE, GOOD VIBES, AND GIVING BACK: WHAT’S NEW IN OUR WORLD OF GOODS appeared first on Mexicali Blues Blog.